The US believes that the Iranian authorities is making ready to offer Russia with a whole bunch of drones to assist Moscow with its ongoing assault on Ukraine, the White Home has revealed.
We’ll element what we all know of the plans thus far and what it means for the subsequent stage of the Ukraine-Russia conflict, plus the subsequent level of focus for the Home committee investigating the Jan. 6 assault on the U.S. Capitol and the most recent incident involving the usCarl Vinson plane service.
That is Protection & Nationwide Safety, your nightly information to the most recent developments on the Pentagon, on Capitol Hill and past. For The Hill, I’m Ellen Mitchell. A good friend ahead this article to you? Subscribe right here.
Officers: Iran making ready to ship Russia drones
The US believes that the Iranian authorities is making ready to offer Russia with a whole bunch of drones with a purpose to assist Moscow with its ongoing assault on Ukraine, White Home nationwide safety adviser Jake Sullivan instructed reporters on Monday.
“Our info signifies that the Iranian authorities is making ready to offer Russia as much as a number of hundred UAVs [unmanned aerial vehicles], together with weapons-capable UAVs, on an expedited timeline,” Sullivan mentioned at a press briefing.
Trainings deliberate: Sullivan mentioned that the Iranians are making ready to coach Russian forces to make use of the unmanned aerial automobiles as early as this month. It’s unclear if any have been delivered to the Russians already.
Timing: The nationwide safety adviser disclosed the knowledge to exhibit the problem Russia is experiencing in sustaining its personal weapons stockpile as Russian President Vladimir Putin’s conflict in Ukraine comes near getting into its sixth month.
Similarities: Throughout his remarks to reporters, Sullivan famous that Iran provided related weapons to the Houthis in Yemen to assist launch assaults in opposition to Saudi Arabia earlier than a cease-fire was brokered.
Sullivan expressed confidence that the Ukrainians, with help from the U.S. and different nations, would have the ability “successfully defend and maintain” the capital of Kyiv, which Russia tried and did not overtake at first of the conflict.
Learn extra right here
Additionally from The Hill:
Panel focuses on ‘tweet heard world wide’
The Home committee investigating the Jan. 6 assault on the U.S. Capitol will flip its focus this week to former President Trump’s marketing campaign to rally protesters to Washington, pointing to 1 tweet specifically as a pivotal second within the violent effort to overturn his election defeat.
“Massive protest in D.C. on January sixth. Be there, shall be wild!” Trump tweeted Dec. 19, 2020.
That message, the investigators contend, acted as a shrewd battle cry to the far-right extremist teams and different supporters who have been wrongly satisfied the election had been “stolen” and considered Jan. 6, 2021 — when Congress met to certify Joe Biden’s victory — as their final finest probability to maintain Trump in energy.
Arising: On Tuesday, lawmakers on the choose committee will drill into the occasions each earlier than and after the tweet, utilizing their newest public listening to within the wide-ranging investigation to advance their case that Trump’s allies acted in cahoots with the violent extremists who would finally storm the Capitol.
- Rep. Jamie Raskin (D-Md.), who will assist lead Tuesday’s listening to, famous that the tweet adopted a Dec. 18, 2020, assembly on the White Home the place a few of Trump’s closest allies pushed him to grab voting machines in key states.
- Trump finally determined in opposition to the concept, however as choices dwindled to stay in energy, he shifted gears to concentrate on a protest the day of the election certification — one thing on-line chatter exhibits Trump’s most zealous supporters took as a name to arms.
The notorious tweet: Trump’s first full-throated endorsement of that protest — the now-infamous Dec. 19 tweet, despatched at 1:42 a.m. — cited a report from Peter Navarro, a prime aide, claiming to reveal proof of large voter fraud.
“Statistically not possible to have misplaced the 2020 Election,” Trump wrote, earlier than urging his supporters to return to Washington on Jan. 6 for the “wild” protest.
A yr and a half later, the committee is leaning on that message to spice up their allegations that Trump orchestrated the Capitol assault in a last-ditch effort to cling to energy.
Learn extra right here
Learn extra from The Hill:
Sailor discovered useless aboard plane service
A Navy sailor was discovered useless aboard the usCarl Vinson plane service on Sunday whereas the ship was docked at Naval Air Station North Island, Calif., in line with the service.
The Navy Area Southwest Federal Hearth Division responded to the scene and pronounced the sailor useless, the Navy mentioned in an announcement.
Restricted particulars: The service is investigating the circumstances of the dying, although there aren’t any indications of suicide or foul play, the assertion famous.
Earlier: The Carl Vinson, which has been within the California space since February, notably suffered a F-35C fighter jet crash on Jan. 24 whereas deployed within the South China Sea.
The plane crashed onto the deck of the ship because it was touchdown, fell into the water and was not recovered till early March. The mishap injured seven sailors.
Learn the complete story right here
- The Home Choose Committee to Examine the January sixth Assault on the U.S. Capitol will maintain a listening to on the January sixth Investigation at 10 a.m..
- The American Safety Undertaking will host a digital dialogue previewing President Biden’s Center East journey,” at 10 a.m.
- The Mitchell Institute for Aerospace Research will maintain an occasion on the Russia/Ukraine battle with Evelyn Farkas, former deputy assistant secretary of protection for Russia, Ukraine, and Eurasia, at 10 a.m.
- The Hudson Institute will host a digital dialogue on “Standing with Allies In opposition to China and Russia,” with Rep. Chrissy Houlahan (D-Pa.), at 12 p.m.
- The Jewish Institute for Nationwide Safety of America will host a digital discuss on “Coverage Priorities for Biden’s Center East Journey,” at 2 p.m.
- The Intelligence and Nationwide Safety Alliance will maintain a digital dialogue on “Trusting the Intelligence Neighborhood,” at 2 p.m.
WHAT WE’RE READING
That’s it for as we speak! Take a look at The Hill’s Protection and Nationwide Safety pages for the most recent protection. See you tomorrow!
VIEW FULL VERSION HERE
Leave a Reply